Welcome to my journey. . .

Looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you!!! May this be just as much of a learning experience for you as it is for me!!! Can't wait to hear what you have to share. I am ready to walk through this journey with you all.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

"THE VOICE . . . "

I just finished reading "Women Food and God" A must read for all of you who have a weight problem or think you do. Having read this book, I realized so many things that have absolutely nothing to do with my weight. It was a real eye opener . . . as I already knew, you can change the outside all you want, but 9/10 times, it isn't what is on the outside that needs fixing. I figured out that as much as I thought I love being around my family (and I still do)I realized that I am using them to make me happy, when I should be looking to myself for the happiness. I am responsible for my own happiness, no one else. I can say "no" and the world won't fall apart. I can do things on my own and I/they will all be fine. I also learned that I have an over active "voice" that ironically talks more than I do (if you can believe that!!!). Everyone has "The Voice."It acts as a “moral compass.” The voice steps in when we want to challenge the "norm.” When used positively it can be very useful, but when it starts running your life and prevents you from seeing things objectively and with honest truth, then it begins draining your strength, passion and energy and turns it against you. You begin believing these distorted ½ truths and it leaves you feeling defeated and weak and you desperately need a quick fix!!!"The biggest obstacle to any kind of transformation is the voice that tells you it is impossible. It says: You've always been like this, you'll always be like this, what's the point . . . have you taken a look at those arms recently" . . .That hair. Those thighs. Why do you even bother? . . ." If you are constantly telling yourself that you are fat and should be ashamed of yourself, you will begin believing it and then the cycle begins. You will continue to be ashamed and anxious. The key is to disengage from "The Voice"and when you do you can begin to ask yourself what you are unhappy with, is there anything you can do to change it? Give "The Voice" a name. This is very important in my life as I used to always walk around listening to myself say . . . "there is food over there, I am going to think about it and then want it before I know it.” I say this in my mind before I even feel it, setting myself up for failure. It doesn't just affect my eating, it affects my life all around from getting into the car ( I am telling myself that I am going to be anxious and I don't want to go), setting myself up before I even get into the car, telling myself I can't go anywhere alone or I will be pent up with fear and anxiety, my family will miss me and I won't enjoy it, so why bother . . . I have been bound by "The Voice" in a very negative way and I refuse to let that continue any longer. I am giving myself a "New Voice" and lets see where that takes me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment