Welcome to my journey. . .

Looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you!!! May this be just as much of a learning experience for you as it is for me!!! Can't wait to hear what you have to share. I am ready to walk through this journey with you all.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

CHEERS TO FIBER . . .

Just wanted to say I have not been feeling well, caught this cold and haven't had the energy to eat well or exercise. Tried to go for a walk in the evenings, but yesterday made it down the street and had to come back. I may not be on for a bit, but will definitely get back by Monday if not sooner. Before I go I would like to share with you something I learned today. I always new that fiber was very good for you, but I didn't really know exactly why until now. Did you know that . . . Fiber passes through our digestive tract without providing nutrition or calories, and yet it is very healthy for us. How on earth is that possible? Well, for one thing, fiber helps to keep our bms regular and ward off certain diseases. This I remember from childhood. I was always encouraged to eat vegetables for "roughage." It helps the carcinogens in our intestines bind to it and move through our colon more quickly than they normally would, reducing our risk for colon cancer. Wait! there is more, fiber also helps get rid of cholesterol from our body, lowering our risk for heart disease. Perhaps fiber's greatest value, however, is in helping to keep us slim. (Wish I had have known this years ago, I would have actually listened to my mother and ate my "roughage.") Fiber makes us feel full sooner and stays in our stomach longer than other things we eat, slowing down our rate of digestion and keeping us feeling fuller longer. Because of its higher fiber content, a single serving of whole grain bread can be more filling than two servings of white bread. Fiber also moves fat through our digestive system faster so that less of it is absorbed. To increase my intake of fiber, I will be eating more whole and natural foods such as legumes (lentils, dry beans and peas), vegetables, fruits, brown rice, whole grains (wheat, oats, barley). By adding more fiber to my diet, it will likely help me lose weight and improve my health at the same time, here's to increasing fiber in moderation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment